59 Allen Street

Called “The Hermitage” by one of its early owners, 59 Allen Street is a Gothic Revival house that may have been designed by Andrew Jackson Downing. The house, which was probably built in the 1840s, was purchased in 1858 by Charles Alger, the owner of the Hudson Iron Works. It was Alger who called the house “The Hermitage.” The house was well sited and offered a commanding view of the river and South Bay, as well as Alger’s own foundry.The house had all the typical features of Gothic Revival style—the steep pitched roof and cross gables, the lacy bargeboard on the gables and finials at the apex, lancet widows in the gables, drip-mold window crowns, a cantilevered bay window, and a veranda overlooking South Bay. Today most of the decorative ornamentation is missing, but the little gabled entry porch remains.

ing of C. C. Alger residence

ing of C. C. Alger residence

59allen-big

West facade of house in early 1970s

East façade of house today

East façade of house today

North façade of house today

North façade of house today







2016 © Historic Hudson. All Rights Reserved. site by apogee