34-36 South Fifth Street
This two-story clapboard house is an example of a simple urban Greek Revival style. It displays details that are typical of Greek Revival town houses: frieze-band windows set into a wide band of trim beneath the cornice, window crowns with “ears,” and six-pane window sash. The clapboard wall cladding and the shutters are original. The bracketed hood over the entrance is probably a later Victorian alteration. The single pane of glass in each transom probably replaced the row of small rectangular lights that was typical of Greek Revival style.The house was probably built as a double house, with two entrances side by side. It remained two houses until its conversion into a single family dwelling in the early 1990s.
The 1983 National Register Historic District Survey dates this house as being built around 1825. Although this date may be too early, it is very likely that this house was the first residential structure to be built on South Fifth Street. The house can be seen in a c. 1837 engraving of Hudson. The 1873 Beers Atlas Map of Hudson indicates that the house was at that time the property of J. T. Haviland, who was the captain of the steamboat General Jackson in the 1840s and had founded his own steamship company by 1850.