Because the original founders of Hudson came from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, the earliest houses built in the new city have the classic building style common in mid-18th century New England. These early Hudson houses were frame houses of one and a half or two stories, with a side-gabled roof and clapboard wall surfaces. They have a three bay façade, with the entrance door at the side.
Some of these houses were actually framed out in Nantucket and transported by ship to Hudson. According to one account, some of the founders dismantled their houses and loaded the parts on ships, to be reassembled in Hudson.
Devastating fires that swept through Hudson in 1838 and 1844 destroyed many of these early houses. Fortunately, some examples remain, most notably this house at 234 Union Street.